The Senior Business Analyst is responsible for a full range of activities which ensure the successful delivery of change programmes delivered to the business.
As well as responsibility for their own analysis deliverables, the Senior Business Analyst is expected to act as a lead on larger programmes involving multiple analysts, taking responsibility for organising and coordinating the work of the other analysts to ensure that it aligns with the objectives of the change initiative.
Leading by example, the holder of this job profile is committed to excellence in the delivery of business analysis artefacts and the provision of business analysis services. They are expected to become a functional expert on a range of processes and applications used within the organisation, whether developed internally or by third party vendors.
Typically work is delivered as part of assignments to projects being delivered by the IT and Change department, potentially in conjunction with one or more third party vendors. Additionally, you may also be required to assist with small projects, and with normal and standard releases for a range of applications, in co-ordination with internal and/or external teams as appropriate.
Specific tasks require such skills as facilitation, influencing, planning, logical thinking, requirements gathering, prioritisation, initiative taking, multi-tasking, problem analysis, solution design, and test planning, all in combination with superb written and oral communication skills. Mentoring and development of the skills of junior analysts within the team is expected, along with selected line management duties such as objective setting.
Performs a combination of the following duties according to departmental guidelines:
- Analysis of business problems and requirements and their translation into structured documentation suitable for use by 3rd parties or internal development teams
- Challenge proposed solutions to ensure that they fit within the strategy and appetite for risk, solving genuine problems that deliver enhanced business value
- Breakdown and explain complex concepts to senior stakeholders
- Produce cost/benefit analyses
- Apply appropriate tools and methodologies to document, analyse and maintain traceability of business requirements
- Proactively identify and resolve business process and IT issues
- Identify and analyse existing 'business as usual' inefficiencies
- Liaise between the business, IT and external parties
- Adhere to and champion analysis best practices
- Coordinate user involvement at all stages of the business change cycle, from initial problem analysis through to user acceptance testing, warranty period and beyond
- Work with Service Management to ensure that change initiatives transition smoothly into the live environment, with all appropriate documentation and business as usual processes in place
- Work with internal or external development teams to ensure that deliverables are of excellent quality and within the scope of the appropriate change initiative
- Work with Project and/or Programme Management to ensure that change initiatives remain on scope and tightly focused, to time and budget, delivering measurable business benefit through the controlled implementation of business change
- Prepare and present training materials through the use of methods appropriate to the audience.
- Assist and support the business with new systems/processes as a result of project delivery.
- Manage your own time and workload in line with project plans, as well as those of other analysts within your area of responsibility
- Mentor junior analysts within the team, leading by example
- Update management on the progress of owned tasks.
- Escalate issues as appropriate
- Manage assigned risks and issues
Education & Experience:
As a minimum:
- Good quality A-levels in numerate and/or analytical subjects
- Seven years solid, commercial business analysis experience
- A deep understanding of insurance as a business
- A demonstrable record of the delivery of business and technology change
- Experience of delivering technology-based change in both waterfall and agile environments
- Evidence of working with all levels of an organisation
- Confident, but with a level of self-awareness.
A distinct advantage would be:
- A degree level qualification
- A professional qualification in the field of business analysis, e.g. BCS BA Diploma
- Experience with subscription-based specialist insurance, i.e. Lloyd's market, ILU or LIRMA
- CII certification
- Experience with change management methodologies, e.g. ADKAR
- Experience with service management methodologies, e.g. ITIL
- Knowledge of any technology solutions specifically related to the insurance business, e.g. underwriting or claims platforms.
This role requires London Market/Lloyd's Market experience.
London Market, Insurance, Change Management, Lloyd's Market, Business Analyst