Our client is a large insurance firm looking to add a Senior Accountant III to their reinsurance team. In addition to the below job requirements, we are looking for someone who is motivated, experienced and an independent thinker who can play a critical role in supporting the accounting and operations functions of the reinsurance team.
- Prepare and/or review assumed and ceded day to day reinsurance general ledger transactions, including preparation of supporting schedules including the Cession Statements and Bordereaux, making sure the supporting statements and journal entries track with the department's calendar.
- Prepare and/or review the quarterly and annual U.S. Statutory and U.S. GAAP financial reports for reinsurance balances and disclosures. This includes Schedule F or parts of the schedule F for assigned companies.
- Prepare and/or review, at the direction of management, the Reinsurance Submissions to the broker. This includes preparing parts of the submission templates, coordinating the preparation of certain parts of the submission statement (like limits presentation, accident year tables, rate development tables, etc.) with the groups responsible for those section of the submission. Lastly, ensure the submission is properly cross-validated and delivered timely to the broker.
- Prepare analytics, at the direction of management, to support variance explanations for reinsurance balances or for selected reinsurance programs. The analytics need to explain the drivers causing the movement in the balances and/or insurance industry ratios. Analytics are to be accompanied with detail descriptions explaining the drivers.
- Prepare and/or review balance sheet account reconciliations on assigned reinsurance balances; this includes supporting the account reconciliation at the counter-party code level and ensuring the GL balance agrees to the Sub-ledger. Also, identifying timing differences and non-timing differences, for which a remediation plan is to be put in place.
- Support the reinsurance team adherence to the company's framework of internal controls by driving the design and execution of reinsurance related SOX controls, including those found in the reinsurance teams Risk Control Matrix (RCM). Work with external and internal auditors, as requested by management, in testing the controls and in providing documentation to the auditors in supports of the control.
- Prepare and/or review documentation, in the form of a Statement of Procedure (SOP), on accounting & filing procedures for the department. This includes ensuring all previously prepared SOP's have been updated for new activities and/or system changes.
- Work with external business partners (Brokers / Reinsurers / Agencies) is settling open recoverable / payable reinsurance balances, this includes working with brokers on collateral requirements and working with the companies Oracle AR sub-ledger in clearing open balances.
- 3+ years of progressive reinsurance accounting experience preferred and/or 5+ years of insurance accounting experience
- A bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting or Finance (a CPA certification or MBA degree preferred but, not required)
- Public accounting experience / experience in dealing with external and internal auditors is preferable.
- Experience with the documentation of accounting and reinsurance operational procedures (such as SOX documentation or process work-flow documentation) is preferable.
- Advanced Excel skills (Pivot Tables, VLOOKUP, etc.) is a must.
- Experience in working with Oracle ERP ledgers, especially in the area of data mining and/or knowledge of uploading entries into Oracle is preferable.