Oracle Database Developer - Contract - London
Our client is looking for a highly skilled Oracle/Database developer to an exciting and dynamic team. The ideal candidate will have a passion for delivering global data warehousing solutions and will ideally have experience working in the insurance sector.
- Developing complex extract, load and transformation routines utilising both SQL and PL\SQL to transform data from multiple sources to a single combined dimensional model.
- Identifying and resolving performance issues by reviewing existing SQL/PLSQL.
- Work closely with the data modelling team and Product Owners to understand and deliver data marts which meet the needs of the business for reporting and analytics
- Deliver quality code conforming to established coding standards and patterns
- Ensure adherence to architectural standards and best practices
- Pro-actively collaborate with data modellers, architects, data analysts and the QA team
- Complete peer lead code reviews, providing feedback and improvement suggestions
- Work within a dynamic, high performing Scaled Agile team.
Skills and Experience
- Extensive experience developing dimensional data marts through the development of complex data transformation routines in SQL and PLSQL
- Advanced standard and procedural SQL skills, including extract, transform and load processes and patterns
- Strong Agile (Scrum) experience
- Good knowledge of Kimball dimensional data modelling and data warehousing concepts
- Ability and willingness to work in a fast paced, unstructured environment on projects with high levels of uncertainty / ambiguity around requirements and minimal governance and control
- Experience working with very large datasets and data modelling techniques and tools
- Experience in performance tuning complex queries, and database optimisation with a good understanding of the Oracle optimiser
- Able to contribute to design/architecture activities and prepare code stubs for others
- Writing tidy, clear, and well commented code
- Good communication skills
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and produce results quickly
- Experience working with an analytics function developing complex predictive models will also be beneficial.
- Good programming skills (Unix shell script, python, PERL etc.)