Purpose & Accountability
- Support the data engineer in providing solution architecture and solutions for the extraction and transformation of data to help the business make use of data central to its day-to-day operations
- Understand the principles of good data warehouse practice and how to maintain and enhance existing data warehouses and data structures without loss of performance or functionality
- Develop good visualisation skills in order to present data in a variety of formats including Excel, SSIS and Power BI
- Build efficient and scalable systems to ensure that additional components can be added in a modular and timely fashion without compromising the existing system
- Interpret and implement user requirements from various departments including Data Management, Pricing, Exposure Management, Conduct and Finance.
- Understand change management and release management principles when delivering data solutions to production.
- A flexible approach is required as user requirements can mature and change during development life-cycle. The ability to manage changing priorities and end user expectations is crucial to the success of this role.
- Working knowledge of SQL Server 2016, SSIS, SSAS
- Working Knowledge of complex T-SQL and ETL techniques to support the transformation of data from a variety of sources
- Experience of implementing systems to import and manipulate complex data structures both relational and non-relational (in particular Excel and XML data sources)
- A knowledge of master data and data quality principles
- Experience of applying software development principles, including environment management and version control (ideally in SVN)
- Experience implementing reports in Reporting Services (SSRS) and Power BI
- Knowledge of at least one other common RDBMS implementation (Oracle, Postgres, etc.) desirable
- Ability to create design patterns (e.g. in BIML and Dynamic SQL) to automate the development process
- Scripting skills e.g. VBA (use with Excel)
- Working with Microsoft Azure