Application Support Business Analyst/IT Business Analyst
You will be responsible for a full range of activities which ensure the operational effectiveness of a variety of Financial Applications and services provided to the business community and supported by the IT Change team. As well as supporting Financial Application development Projects.
The holder of this job profile is expected to become a functional expert on a range of Financial Reporting Applications used within the organisation, whether developed internally or by third party vendors.
General duties include raising and managing support queries both personally and for the Finance Team, providing support to the business by resolving service queries or acting as an escalation point where necessary, liaising with third party suppliers to resolve issues, executing operational activities to support business processing, and assisting project teams with expert knowledge of applications and their utilisation within the business.
Specific tasks require such skills as logical thinking, requirements gathering, prioritisation, initiative taking, multi-tasking, problem analysis, solution design, plus writing of test scripts and their execution. You assist with normal and standard releases for a range of applications, in co-ordination with internal and/or external teams as appropriate.
- Mobilise, co-ordinate and monitor 3rd party support to ensure the operational requirements of the business are met
- Own and execute operational tasks related to the support of business processes
- Assist with the transition of new business application software into production, working closely with development and project teams as required
- Support end user functionality queries, and train and guide users on application usage best practices
- Transfer application knowledge to improve first level support
- Assist as necessary in testing data for small projects/changes
- Guide and assist other members of the team, ensuring that application knowledge is shared in such a way as to avoid dependence on named individuals
- Ensure that project and business application support documentation is developed and maintained
- Produce knowledge base articles to ensure that intellectual capital is captured in a reusable and persistent form
- Deliver small projects/changes into production following departmental project methodology.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Customer focused and able to work to agreed standards and service level agreements
- Experience of working within an application support environment with a proven service ethic
- Capable of prioritising and managing multiple tasks simultaneously
- Able to analyse and solve problems quickly and effectively, either independently or by obtaining consensus and/or approval where required
- Good self-management skills and able to balance competing priorities in time sensitive situations
- Analytical skills, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret business users' issues and translate them into practical solutions
- Have a flexible approach to working hours to meet the requirements of the business
- Able to foster relationships within the team, other business departments, and 3rd party vendors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of the software development lifecycle and familiarity with project management methodologies
- Excellent interpersonal, consultative and communication skills. Ability to interact effectively at all levels with clients, consultants, vendors, peers, and IT management and staff
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, SharePoint, Skype for Business, and other business productivity systems
- Experience with service management tools and software
- Exposure to a variety of business application systems such as finance, ERP, transaction/data processing, document management, workflow, data warehouses/marts
- Intermediate or better SQL skills and an understanding of relational databases
- Familiarity with typical IT and infrastructure architectures.
Education & Experience:
As a minimum:
- Good quality A-levels in numerate and/or analytical subjects
- Two years application support experience.
A distinct advantage would be:
- A professional qualification in the field of service management, e.g. ITIL, Microsoft Certified Professional, etc.
- Experience with any or all of ServiceNow, Microsoft Visual Studio and/or Microsoft SQLServer Management Studio
- An understanding of insurance as a business
- Knowledge of any applications specifically related to the Insurance Business and specifically the Finance function i.e. Senator, Subscribe, Acumen, Tandem, Workday, Alteryx.
Insurance, London, Lloyd's Market, Business Analyst