This role is responsible for owning and directing innovation right across the group.
- Corporate Innovation Lifecycle
- Digital Innovation and Strategy
From providing thought leadership and strategic direction, overseeing the funding and delivery of a large and complex global programme of innovation activity, to demonstrating and communicating the impact of innovation initiatives, this person will be the catalyst for innovation. Line manage a small high capability team and 'matrix manage' an innovation community of practice.
Owning innovation, including:
- Defining what innovation means, and how and where it should be employed
- Creating and managing a compelling, accessible and impactful innovation proposition, available to employees right across the group
- Ensuring there are appropriate funds, mechanisms and procedures in place to effectively democratize innovation activity across the group
- Create and manage a team of innovation specialists, who can effectively activate innovation activity
Defining the strategic direction for innovation, including:
- Providing insight into innovation macro-themes that could influence business and thought leadership on the key areas of opportunity and challenge.
- Defining and regularly reviewing the key themes for innovation activity that inform an innovation strategy
- Creating and managing a clear innovation strategy, with an ambitious long-term vision, and clear shorter-term deliverables, enablers and measures of success
- Ensuring that the appropriate resources and plans are in place to deliver on strategic objectives
- Enabling outside-in thinking to energise and inspire the innovation community
Promoting innovation across the group, including
- Overseeing a programme of communication and employee engagement activity to raise the profile of innovation across the group
- Creating and developing physical and digital assets that promote the experience of innovation, and improve the environment for innovation.
- Striving to build relationships with key stakeholders across the group, to effectively embed innovation strategy into individual business unit (BU) activity.
Ensuring the execution of innovation initiatives across the group, including:
- Directing the successful delivery of a pipeline of innovation projects across multiple BUs
- Ensuring smooth running of an innovation fund, to enable employees to access money for innovation projects to populate this pipeline
- Directing a programme of innovation partner management, where partnerships can be identified and procured to enable the successful delivery of innovation initiatives
- Ensuring that personnel managing partnerships, the pipeline and the fund have access to the appropriate training, resources and guidance to execute a successful programme of innovation initiatives
Managing key innovation committees across, including:
- Management of an innovation funding board comprised of internal stakeholders, to direct the distribution of funding to innovation projects
- Organization of an innovation advisory board, using external innovation experts, to provide insight and steer on key innovation topics and themes
- Heading an innovation community, comprised of employees from BUs across the group where examples of initiatives and practice can be shared
Demonstrating tangible business success as a result of innovation work, including
- Defining key KPIs that will be impacted as a result of innovation activity
- Creating a mechanism to collate management information, to understand performance against innovation KPIs
- Being ultimately responsible for the success of delivery against KPIs, including making any required changes to strategy and activity to ensure KPIs are met
- Demonstrating the link between innovation and ROI over the medium to long term
- Ability to direct and oversee a function of key strategic importance
- Ability to provide direction and thought leadership to the group, specifically on innovation.
- Ability to define short and long term strategic innovation priorities.
- Ability to effectively implement strategy, through a large and complex programme of activity across multiple regions, lines and business units
- Ability to oversee and direct a team of leaders, experts and practitioners to execute strategy
- Ability to define, demonstrate and manage the business benefits delivered by innovation activity
- Ability to decisively prioritize initiatives and activities which will deliver optimum business benefit
- Ability to engage, communicate and influence multiple stakeholders, including C-suite executives
- Ability to direct and manage a team of innovation managers and practitioners to deliver innovation strategy
Fluent English is required