This role reports to the Head of Compliance and Legal. It is anticipated that the split between tax and compliance activities will be 30/70.
The purpose of this role is to support the business as a technical and tax specialist in relation to all tax wrappers of products in the UK. The role holder is responsible for all technical and tax matters including the following:
- Performing the role of Scheme Administrator for the Europe Personal Pension Schemes.
Duties include regular reporting submissions and tax relief at source reclaims to HMRC
- Performing tax calculations on our Pension and Offshore book of business where appropriate and monitoring the accuracy of such data held in the policy administration system.
- Supporting the operations function in a mentoring/sign-off capacity to help them ensure that issues tax certificates to clients when appropriate and with the correct information. Also supporting the maintenance of written tax procedures embedded in their operation by providing on-going sign off.
- Carrying out tax reporting & payment obligations to HMRC and any other relevant UK bodies on a timely basis
- Supporting operations and IT in relation to system development with the aim of robust tax automation, by helping identify system defects through monitoring and testing, suggesting system improvements and engaging in ongoing projects to ensure fiscal changes are accounted for in system development
- Responding to technical queries on the products from the policy administration team, including support on complex tax calculations
- Monitoring UK tax developments as they impact on products (i.e. Budget announcements etc.) and advising and working with the business on the impacts of such developments.
- Ongoing oversight of a third party provider, in order to continually audit and monitor the HMRC tax & reporting obligations that they fulfil on behalf of the business.
The role holder is responsible for conducting compliance monitoring across a number of areas, including:
- Financial Crime: o Monthly reviews of new business and surrender files and ad hoc reviews of referrals to ensure compliance with the company's AML / CTF procedures
- o Monthly quality assurance reviews of sanctions / PEP alert screening
- Quarterly reviews into compliance with the company's complaints handling policy;
- Ad hoc reviews into compliance with conduct of business rules and general good requirements in different European jurisdictions;
- Ad hoc reviews into compliance with policyholder taxation calculation and reporting requirements;
- Ad hoc reviews into compliance with data protection requirements.
The role also involves responsibility for managing the following company compliance processes:
- Maintaining the company's Gifts and Entertainment register
- Maintaining the company's Compliance Breaches register
In addition, the role holder will be expected to:
- Respond to compliance queries from the different parts of the business;
- Provide input to compliance policies and procedures, based on their working knowledge of the business;
- Help to roll out compliance training and awareness initiatives across the business;
- Help to assess the potential impact of new regulatory requirements on lines of business;
- Help to compile information to comply with various reporting requirements;
- Help to investigate suspicious activity reports.